Friday, October 23, 2009

Skeleton.

before...
after...

I am incredibly happy with everything about this piece. While I am very proud of how this work looks, I think I am even more proud of the steps I have taken in producing it. For example, when I began, I drew an outline of each shape in a light color (I think it was a light yellow-y color) then went back over these lines with a darker color and added more detail. Actually, I think this is the first piece I have ever done where I really feel like I "attacked the page" as soon as I started. After outlining general shapes, I focused on adding shadows with very dark colors and light values with lights and whites. Of course, the contrast in this piece can still be intensified- and it will be. Additionally, I am very pleased with how using ink for the background and shadows turned out. I was VERY nervous to commit to something as permanent and unpredictable as ink, but it was a great decision and I'm so glad Ms. Kane recommended it! I want to continue to use similar methods I used in this work (outlining using layers of different colors, utilizing high contrast, committing to mediums that scare me a bit) in future portfolio pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment